Father and Child Embrace

Father and Child Embrace

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sunday evening, October 13, 2013

I had a very busy weekend out of town and neglected to take any new pictures this entire weekend...until I got home on Sunday evening around 6:30pm.  With about an hour of daylight remaining, I went out and started to take shots and realized I forgot my memory card in my laptop...so I went back home and picked it up and started back in in a different direction....I wound up on 9th Avenue first, where I had a brief conversation with the man who operates the "King Kool" ice cream van, where he was serving the neighborhood children goodies.  I explained the scope of this project.  He was very responsive and provided his own insight by explaining the effects of the government shutdown into the parallels we are making with the New Deal era.  In this shot he is mid-conversation explaining his perspective.

King Kool man, October 14, 2013
 
 
For the next stop, I ended up on 8th Avenue near 10th Street.  I saw a man sitting by himself outside of a church, River Cities Lighthouse church.  I introduced myself to the man and explained the scope of this project. He was very nice and seemed amused by the whole proposition.  I think I'm going to have to start taking a notepad / audio recorder to these shots, because I'm beginning to realize that I'm not doing these people I meet justice they deserve, unless I start to recall their names and retell their stories in more detail.
 
Man sitting outside River Cities Lighthouse Church, October 14, 2013
 
 
With the last few remaining minutes of daylight remaining, I scrambled to find a last shot.  I continued on 8th Avenue and took a right onto 8th Street going under the viaduct.  I came up on the other side of the viaduct and noticed what appeared to be a homeless or transient man who was shaking his hands and pointing at what appeared to be nothing.  I'm not sure if he was hallucinating or was having a conversation with himself.  He appeared to be very animated and involved in what he was doing.  So I parked my car right off of 8th Street, walked across the street, and approached the man.  I began taking shots and although at first he didn't appear to be disapproving, after a few shots he asked me not to take any more pictures.  I respectfully did not take any more shots.
 
Homeless man on sidewalk near 8th Street viaduct, October 14, 2013
 
 
 


 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the style and subjects in your photos. You have an eye for good composition and a knack for capturing those images.

    ReplyDelete