Father and Child Embrace

Father and Child Embrace

Sunday, October 6, 2013

My first night of shooting - August 24, 2013

 
These pictures were taken on the evening of August 24, 2013.  I set off with my camera for my first "official" shoot with the intent of capturing something that most Huntingtonians would not see in their normal everyday lives. I didn't have a real plan on where I was going; I just knew that I wanted to capture something different and hidden to most residents. So I drove to Eighth Avenue and parked my car.  From a distance, I saw a man and child who caught my eye. When I saw them from a distance the child was in the Power Wheels and the man was just watching her play.  I approached him and asked his permission to shoot their picture and he obliged.  The child then got out of the Power Wheels and sat in her father's lap.  This was the absolute first picture I took for this project. I titled it "Father and child embrace". 
 
I knew this image would set the tone for the next hour as I ventured across the train tracks in between Eighth and Seventh Streets and covered an area from Fourteenth St. to Ninth St. ending up at the City Mission downtown.  It was thoroughly exhilarating uncovering and discovering a side of Huntington that I never knew existed.  That first excursion hooked me and I have been looking at Huntington differently ever since that evening.
 
 

 
Father and child embrace, August 24, 2013
  
 
 Burning warehouse light, August 24, 2013



 Monster, August 24, 2013


                         Trainyard skyline, August 24, 2013    City Mission at sunset, August 24, 2013


 
Train antennae sunset, August 24, 2013
 
The next week, I made it a goal to capture as many unique and interesting shots within the city limits of Huntington that captured the essence of the good and bad in Huntington, the old and the new, etc.  I went out in morning and afternoon on Saturday and shot a variety of shots in the Fairfield district and also I ventured on top of Eighth Street Hill for a short period of time.  Lastly, I stopped at the Boulevard Memorial Park behind Spring Hill Cemetery and captured a variety of images.  More shots will follow...
 
 
Empty chair with rake overlooking Spring Hill cemetery, August 31, 2013

Graffiti in tunnel on West End, August 31, 2013

Hilltop Motors, August 31, 2013

Man on bike with headphones beside tunnel on West End, August 31, 2013

Tunnel on West End, August 31, 2013

Weedeater man taking a break, August 31, 2013
 
 
That evening on that same day, my family and I went to Camden Park Amusement Park for celebration of my daughter and completing her chores, lessons, and behavior over the last month of summer.  More shots will follow...

Pronto Pup stand, August 31, 2013
 

1 comment:

  1. Phenomenal work Parry. The world is always clearer through the poignant aperture of a lens.

    ReplyDelete