Father and Child Embrace

Father and Child Embrace

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Friday, November 1, 2013 - 10:00AM - 4:00 PM - The Day After the Wind Storm - Batch 2 of 4

So after watching the logging crew dismantle the tree, Hunter and I made our way to the center of the park where wet met Scott (?, I think that was his name) Miller, the GHPRD supervisor, who was in charge of another crew at the park who were using the wood chippers to clean up all of the fallen limbs and brush that was strewn everywhere.  He was really cordial and, since we introduced ourselves as teachers, he mentioned that he had two twin boys, Kyle and Matt, who just recently graduated from HHS.  Both Hunter and I remembered them as we both had his son(s) in class.  Really great kids, great athletes, soccer players at that.  Here are a couple shots of him and his crew clearing out the brush.

Mr. Miller and his crew in Ritter Park, Nov.1, 2013

Mr. Miller speaks to the crew in Ritter Park, Nov.1, 2013

City worker in Ritter Park, Nov.1, 2013

After hanging out there for about 15 minutes taking some really great shots, we meandered onto the end of Ritter Park bordering 8th St.  There was a tree that had fallen down and knocked over the stoplight and pole holding it up, laying it entirely across in the intersection.  We took a variety of shots of the workers who were disassembling and moving different parts of the stoplight post (signs, lights, etc.) and putting them onto the backs of a couple trucks that were there at the scene.  They allowed us to get extra-ordinarily close and take shots of the scene, without as much as a murmur from them about our presence.  For that, I was grateful and happy that they were so polite about letting us get their pictures, especially that close-up.  WSAZ news cameras were there the entire time we were there, getting set up for a news update by local anchorman, Bill Murray, who arrived by the end of our shoot.

Worker carries crosswalk light at Ritter Park, Nov. 1, 2013

Worker carries Museum sign at Ritter Park, Nov.1, 2013

Worker passes stoplight at Riiter Park, Nov.1, 2013


 
We decided to go to one last location before we headed back and call it a day; the Neighborgall building on 12th St and 7th Ave.  It's entire roof had been ripped off by the night's gales.  Pretty amazing scene to say the least.  We got there right around noon, right when the sun was beating down on us from above.  This scene was a little more difficult to shoot.  In addition to the sunlight, you could only get so close and get a decent shot, since it was on the second floor, and my macro lens could only get so close to the action.  But interesting shots nonetheless.  I only got a few of the workers in action, since their lunch breaks were just beginning...The one shot I took with them walking on the roof is when they all were heading to the ladder to climb down for break. 
 

Construction workers walk along Neighborgall Building rooftop, Nov.1, 2013
 


Construction workers repair the Neighborgall Building roof, Nov.1, 2013
 
 
Alright, on our way back to my house and at a moment's whim decided to swing back around and get some shots at Po Boy Tire off of Hal Greer Blvd.  There was a guy sitting in a chair that had piqued my interest as I quickly glanced over at the shop when we drove by. I know, the subject matter was totally off-topic from the rest of the shots we took today, but this guy had captured my interest in that instant and I also thought it might be good to capture other things that were occurring through the day in addition to the carnage. After taking the initial shot of the man sitting in the chair (he scowled at me after he noticed me and slunk down, turned around in the chair, and then ended up getting up and scurrying behind the row of semi trucks as to not to have his picture taken anymore.) Also, some of the customers were getting a bit perturbed at my taking pictures at the shop (one was really fond of my attendance and was flipping me the bird the majority of the time).  One particular woman briskly came over from the store, I customer I presume, and very bluntly asked what we were doing.  We very politely and matter-of-factly told her what we were doing and what our goals of the project were, and I think she felt disarmed and was polite from then on out. 
 
Man sitting in chair outside Po-Boys Tires on Hal Greer Blvd., Nov.1, 2013
 

 
We left that scene shortly thereafter and made our way to a street merchant's sidewalk setup, right beside Po Boy's on the other side of the alley.  It was a basically a couple of long tables set up with a variety of merchandise laying and hanging around, complete with sunglasses rack full of designer-looking sunglasses, copies of DVD's and CD (legally distributed, I'm sure), and replica purses abound.  It looked interesting enough to shoot, so I immediately started taking pictures from the sidewalk at the sidewalk salesmen and his customer and one employee.  He immediately walked up to me and appeared very agitated that I was taking pictures of his setup. I didn't ask for his permission to fire away shots, but since I was on a public sidewalk I did so without his request.  He angrily talked to me about manners and said I was rude by not asking permission, so I retorted that it was public property and I was allowed to do so .  Trying to calm the man and be forthright, I asked right then and there if it was alright if I could take his picture albeit it was after the fact. Then Hunter and I began to tell him what the project was about and that we were teachers at HHS, he changed his tune and became rather pleasant thereafter; almost extra chummy and by the end of our meeting was inquiring whether or not there were any positions available in Cabell County Schools and if we had any connections about helping him get a job.  His name was Derrick Jackson(?).  He said he had a college degree in something not teacher related, but that he was getting his Master's in Adult Technical Ed or something like that. So after we got his blessing, we exchanged contact information and watched him and his associates deal with a couple more customers as I continued to take some pretty candid shots.
 
Sidewalk salesman on Hal Greer Blvd., Nov. 1, 2013

Sidewalk salesman and customer on Hal Greer Blvd., Nov. 1, 2013
 
Kid jumps in the air on Hal Greer Blvd, Nov. 1, 2013
 


No comments:

Post a Comment